My name is Rafael Cardoso, you can call me Raf. I migrated to Australia in 2007 and became a citizen after finishing my Bachelor Degree in Computer Science, graduating from Paulista University in São Paulo, Brazil in 2006. I have been working with web development since 1998 and I have always been passionate about Web and coding. Some of the places I have worked include the biggest internet portal in Latin America, UOL, as well as big-name digital agency M&C Saatchi, Yahoo!7 and Brightcove.
Technology Used: Titanium Appcelerator
Soccer de Brazil
Technology Used: Titanium Appcelerator
Technology Used: Titanium Appcelerator
As a leader I have a great understanding of how to manage difficult behaviors and conversations, getting people involved in decision making process, ensuring business needs are met through solution design and strong communication with Product & Audience. My skills in development span across multiple platforms, including front-end web development and backend integration. I am able to use my experience across these platforms to make product development decisions around development strategy, tools to employ and team composition.
As part of the professional services, the primary function of my role is to help clients achieve their success through bespoke solutions using our products and to help them build a successful OTT solution. I work very closely with the biggest Media Companies in AU, NZ, and Asia; HBO Asia, Channel Seven, Ten and Nine, Cricket, Media Works NZ, to name a few.
Some of my responsibilities are:
- Provide end to end solution and design details
- Work closely with clients to develop project strategies, communicate progress and clearly explain complex ideas, systems and processes in human language
- Mentor and guide members of the team
- Hands on prototyping solutions to improve and scale applications.
Adrenalina Total is an online experience gift retailer based in Brazil, inspired by a passion for extreme sports and adventure.
It's the first voucher based platform built on top of Shopify with the integration of AWS Stack. The admin's front-end is built on top of Angular 7, and the backend is hooked through microservices using Lambda, Gateway API and DynamoDB, and the authentication to the platform is using Cognito.
High-level management role overseeing a high performing team of 5 developers responsible for a greenfield project building a platform that served all Yahoo websites.
- Build, lead and hire a high-caliber team of software engineers.
- Provide technical input and oversight to the work of the team, helping them to scope projects and make architectural decisions.
- Organize and facilitate regular 1:1’s with my team for coaching, mentoring as well as working on their career growth.
- Responsible for the quality of software delivery of the team, enforce and evolve best practices to improve engineering quality and efficiency and establish team objectives in alignment with business objectives
- Execute performance improvement plans for under-performers.
I led a talented team of front-end and full stack developers into various projects.
- Hands-on coding and working closely with project managers and product owners through an Agile development methodology.
- Interviewing and hiring candidates, advising on technical structures for the future and end of life frameworks.
- Work closely with the engineering team, to ensure architecture, implementation, and results are complying with site speed guidelines, assuring that 100% of our code is code reviewed and unit tested.
- A strong advocate of documentation and code quality, continuously striving for better performance and code improvements, enforcing code reviews and also involved in implementing unit tests for all the js modules.
- Initiated multiple projects to improve the entire team's capabilities and efficiency, creating internal automated tools that make the everyday life of producers a bit easier.
- We work mostly with Node.js, ES6, and ReactJS.
I was involved in many cutting edge projects that include most of the biggest brands in Australia. (ex: Optus, Commbank, Nestlé, Google, Pizzahut, David Jones and so on...).
Some of the responsibilities were:
- Take ownership of assignments to ensure on-time and thorough work.
- Demonstrates ability to lead Front-end in several projects, including managing expectations of producers and designers and time estimates.
- Provide oversight and critique during the design and development process.
- Continually enhance individual and team collective knowledge to drive theory and practice in ongoing work.
- Understand backend platform concepts and concerns.
- Hands-on Node.js development as the main backend tool in the agency.
- Make sure all projects were fully managed by JIRA and Bamboo.
I led the team of 6 front-end engineering and 2 UX designers through the portal and mobile development.
- Hands-on development in the application that uses PHP and MySQL.
- Delivered clean, clear, and well-documented code that can be easily supported by others.
- Accurately estimate timelines and ensure deadlines are consistently met.
Responsible for the quality of software delivery of the team.
Effective leadership mentoring and coaching team members as well spending 1-on-1 time with the team.
Execute performance improvement plans for underperformers.
Provide technical input and oversight to the work of the team, helping them to scope projects and make architectural decisions.
Great communications skills, fast learner and self-motivated.
Proficient in the use of Vanila JS / ES6 and worked on a few frameworks like ReactJS and AngularJS
Ability to work in a team environment and build great relationship with people outside of the development team including people like Product Managers, Commercial, Product Owners, etc.
Establish team objectives in alignment with business objectives.
Build an open, positive, and energised culture.
Build, lead and hire a high-calibre team of software engineers.
Constantly seeking to develop myself by learning new technologies and keeping abreast of market development.
Yahoo!7 - The 2014 and 2015 Excellence Award
Yahoo!7 - Hackday 2015 - Internal Tool Winner (Theme Builder)
We built a tool to integrate the digital asset management framework, giving production companies a way to provide a variety of frame marker functions, like text, clipping or drawing. The front-end was completely built in ReactJS and Redux with support of D3.js to handle the data and advanced functionality of the tool. ES6 was used across all the project with webpack and babel to handle the distribution.
Brightcove built a complete OTT solution for HBO, ranging from Ingestion, Middlewares, all the way to apps for every device.
I helped lead a cross-functional team, with daily stand-ups in different timezones, working with stakeholders to understand their needs and helping to manage expectations from all sides, onsite workshops, helping plan, prioritize and execute the work
At Yahoo, one of our goals was to make sure 100% of the code were code reviewed before deployed into production.
Using hooks and Chrome extension, the App would distribute badges based on the review, messages, comments, files, etc. It also created a leaderboard where it created a healthy competition between the teams and help drive the team to achieve our goals.
Tempo is an Internal Booking Management Tool that has been developed in-house as a pro-active solution from one of our developers to help organize the bookings of our team. Since I've started in the agency I saw a need to check the bookings from my mobile and I decided to start again, another pro-active solution and build an iPhone App.
So, in my spare time, I paired with one of our designers and we started to build a mobile interface for this tool. The app was built in a hybrid solution using Titanium (JS) and it was used across the agency by developers and designers.
Our solution was Movember Games, four simple motion-tracking games that made the user’s mustache the controller. The games were made possible by Chrome’s integration with HTML5, and we used a JS gaming platform called EaselJS. One new game was released each week, starting with the Lame-Mo, where players strengthened their "mo" by lifting and balancing a barbell on their top lip. As your "mo" grew, so did the challenges. The games engaged users from around the world, keeping them motivated and entertained through the often challenging month of Movember.